A little bit about us
During my research, I realized that these two have a great deal in common and that combining these passions creates a unique way to communicate science. I want to add some creativity to the conventional forms of scientific communication, with the aim to spark interest inside and outside the scientific community.
My drawings are designed to illustrate scientific themes with an artistic twist, and I aim to highlight fundamental scientific aspects in an unconventional way. I create my drawings for everyone to enjoy – for scientists to appreciate biological findings in a refreshing way, and for non-scientists to discover the beauty in fundamental biological principles.
Every drawing is an experiment!
To create each scientific illustration, I collaborate with my partner, Matthew Cooney, who specializes in conservation and science communication. We begin by considering a scientific concept or recent discovery, discussing how to communicate it both inside and outside the scientific community. I then make a detailed pencil drawing – sketching by hand allows me the greatest level of detail. For me, nothing can replicate the texture and feel of a real pencil on paper. After taking a high-resolution scan, Matthew digitally outlines the drawing for post-processing, and finally, I add the colors and scientific data to create the finished piece. For my microscopy fashion, I spend many hours in a dark microscope room and capture the most beautiful images I can find, and compile them into aesthetic patterns.
- The Science Of Storytelling: Inspiring The Next Generation Of Female STEM Leaders, Forbes, (10/2019)
- Beata Mierzwa: Bridging the Divide Between Science and Art, JCB People & Ideas, (11/2018)
- ASCB Member Profile: Beata Edyta Mierzwa, ASCB, (10/2018)
- Molecular Biology SciArt – Beata Edyta Mierzwa, NatureVolve Magazine, (07/2018)
- Art Meets Science – Scientific Artists or Artistic Scientists?, AllokSci Blog, (05/2018)
- News Report on Molecular Fashion Show on Austrian National TV, ORF Wien Heute, (01/2018)
- Kreative Bilder der Zellteilung [Creative Images of Cell Division], Die Presse (Austrian newspaper), (08/2017)
- IMBA and Vienna BioCenter Present Beata Mierzwa and Her ESCRT-III Story, Institute of Molecular Biotechnology, (06/2017)
- GSA-art: Beata Edyta Mierzwa, Genes to Genomes, (12/2016)
- A Fusion of Art and Science, The Node, (11/2016)