Let me introduce myself
My name is Beata, I am a scientist working on cell division of animal cells. I combine my two passions – science and art – to create unique and unconventional illustrations.
During my research, I realized that these two have a great deal in common and that combining these passions creates a unique way to communicate science. I want to add some creativity to the conventional forms of scientific communication, with the aim to spark interest inside and outside the scientific community.
My drawings are designed illustrate scientific themes with an artistic twist, and I aim to highlight fundamental scientific aspects in an unconventional way. I create my drawings for everyone to enjoy – for scientists to appreciate biological findings in a refreshing way, and for non-scientists to discover the beauty in fundamental biological principles.
Every drawing is an experiment!
I create my artworks by making a detailed pencil drawing on paper with colors added digitally. For my microscopy fashion, I spend many hours in a dark microscope room and capture the most beautiful images I can find, and compile them into aesthetic patterns.
- Beata Mierzwa: Bridging the Divide Between Science and Art, JCB People & Ideas, (11/2018)
- ASCB Member Profile: Beata Edyta Mierzwa, ASCB, (10/2018)
- Molecular Biology SciArt – Beata Edyta Mierzwa, NatureVolve Magazine, (07/2018)
- Art Meets Science – Scientific Artists or Artistic Scientists?, AllokSci Blog, (05/2018)
- News Report on Molecular Fashion Show on Austrian National TV, ORF Wien Heute, (01/2018)
- Kreative Bilder der Zellteilung [Creative Images of Cell Division], Die Presse (Austrian newspaper), (08/2017)
- IMBA and Vienna BioCenter Present Beata Mierzwa and Her ESCRT-III Story, Institute of Molecular Biotechnology, (06/2017)
- GSA-art: Beata Edyta Mierzwa, Genes to Genomes, (12/2016)
- A Fusion of Art and Science, The Node, (11/2016)